The Cyberunions Podcast – Episode Twenty One: Organise, Network, Occupy!
Submitted by marxistvegan on Sat, 10/15/2011 - 20:34
This is shared from cyberunions.org
Organise, Network, Occupy!
0:30 Walton and Stephen’s updates
- Stephen visits Occupy Boston
- Coalition of Resistance in Glasgow had a teleconference with Occupy Wall Street
- Occupy Manchester and People First in Glasgow
- The Occupy movement is more than just a march – it’s opening political space
- The unions have come on board too
- Is this the birth of the Green Tea Party?
- Occupy Wall Street has a good manifesto
- The union busters have noticed us! They’re worried about swarm organising, Worth a show in future?
10:00 Tech updates
- No, we’re not reviewing the iPhone 4S
- This isn’t a lament for Steve Jobs either
- We bang on about Facebook privacy
- Open Graph tracks any website you visit that has a ‘like’ button – whether you click it or not
- “Frictionless sharing” or total surveillance?
- We suspect Google does the same, but can’t be sure
- We hope to get server space soon, so we can provide some solutions
14:00 We have a guest – welcome Örsan
- Walton and Örsan say something weird in a foreign language
- Örsan is Turkish but lives in The Netherlands
- First hand experience of marginalised and vulnerable existence as a migrant worker in a country with a resurgent right wing
- Works with TIE-Netherlands - Transnational Information Exchange – autonomous nodes get us excited!
- Peter Waterman is the original cyberunionist – he wrote International labour communication by computer : the fifth international? back in 1992
- Waterman is at the GLU conference in Johannesburg right now
- Initiated two projects inspired by Waterman – Social Network Unionism - mapping the ability of technology to facilitate workers’ self-organisation to create a hyperempowered working class
- GAIA is an attempt to create a network of activists and practioners
- Let’s have a discussion – what’s the best way to use technology to organise?
- There is now a #cyberunions IRC channel on oftc.net – join us and have your say
- Use Facebook and Twitter to communicate – but work on an exit strategy
- Walton has been having wireless issues on Debian since the last kernel upgrade
- Just installed Chakra Linux – it’s Arch with a KDE interface
- Plot Tracer of Second Life Left Unity says there are solidarity occupations in SL
- We are mentioned in an article in the latest edition of Labour Research
- The trade union education department at Stow College have been using cyberunions as a resource – welcome visitors!